Fall is upon us, people! It’s time to bust out the boots, pull the sweaters out of storage, & run, don’t walk, to the nearest Starbucks for a PSL!
Okay, maybe hold off on the sweaters & boots until it gets under 80 degrees & make the PSL iced, but despite the warm weather, I’m still gearing up for my favorite season!
This autumn will be our first as a family of three & since I’m pretty extra, I fully intend to start some seasonal family traditions!
So pull your scrunchie tight (apparently those are coming back in style; who knew?!) & check out these fall activities for ideas to start your own Autumn family traditions!
Fall Traditions at Home
- Decorate for Fall as a family
- Set aside a day every week to make a fall-themed sweet treat (apple pie, pumpkin bread, mulled cider, or candy apples are great starts!)
- Share some of those sweet treats with neighbors!
- Curl up under a cozy blanket with the kids & read a chapter of a book every evening (preferably an autumn-themed book!)
- Throw a pumpkin carving party for your family & friends (Make it a competition! First prize gets a giant candy bar!)
- Play touch football after Thanksgiving dinner
- Help the kids make their own costumes for Halloween
- Host a bonfire every other weekend
- Every night of November have each family member tell one thing they’re thankful for
- Collect canned goods for a food drive & have the kids help choose the food to give
- Wake up early to enjoy the freshly peeked sun while sipping some pumpkin spiced coffee (Not a morning person? Find out how I turned from my night owl ways here!)
- Do an Autumn-themed craft every week (think DIY cornucopias with candy, handprint turkeys, or make a leaf print!)
- Make a scarecrow
- Read a verse a day about being grateful/giving thanks
- Be a turquoise pumpkin house
- Collect pinecones in the yard & let the kids paint them, then use for decor
- Learn an indoor hobby together such as knitting or crocheting
Fall Traditions on the Go
- Go to a farmers market & have the kids pick out a new vegetable to try
- Apple picking
- Visit the pumpkin patch & do a mini photoshoot in coordinating outfits
- Visit a farm (bonus if there’s a corn maze!)
- Find a fall festival downtown or at a local church
- Head to a Halloween store & see who can find the silliest costume
- Ride a hayride
- Go camping before the cold sets in
- Take a family portrait for the soon coming Christmas cards!
- Go trick or treating as a family (don’t forget the matching costumes!)
- Tour a historic graveyard
The closer Fall gets, the more excited I get about sharing some of these fall activities with my husband & daughter. I want to always show E.K. that family time is important & family traditions are a great way to do that!
I’ve already started jotting down dates in my planner for the pumpkin patch & headed out to a local farm!
Does your family have any Autumn traditions? What are your favorite fall activities? Tell me about them in the comments! Also, be sure to sign up for our newsletter for some great upcoming holiday goodies!
I pray this coming season is a great blessing to your family!
Happy (almost) Fall, y’all!