It’s unbelievable how quickly time flies. Last Christmas I was as big as a blimp at 6 months pregnant. I blinked & suddenly I’m buying toys for my now 7-month-old’s first Christmas. WHAT?! And of course, I’m as lost as a snowball in the desert when it comes to buying toys, so I decided to create a super simple toy guide for all of us confused mamas!
When choosing what to add to these gift ideas for our babies, I tried to focus on toys that were relevant to each age’s development & milestones. I did throw in a few “just because” items, but my main goal was to keep it very developmental & learning forward! They are also categorized by age to make it a bit easier!
Before we get started, I just want to remind you (although I’m sure it’s unnecessary!) to please only give your babies age-appropriate toys, always double-check the age recommendations before purchasing, & always supervise your littles while using any of the products listed below!
Please note that some of the following links are affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission should you purchase through them at no additional cost to you. You may read more about this on my disclaimer & I greatly appreciate the support!
Newborns are already discovering & exploring the world around them even if we don’t realize it! During these first 12 weeks, babies may start tracking things with their eyes, lifting their heads when on their tummy, open & shut their hands, grip objects when placed in their hands, & may even swipe at dangling toys! Here are some gift ideas for newborns, 1-month-olds, and 2-month-olds!
1. Liangzi Black White Flash Cards for Baby
2. PicoHemmo Black & White Flash Cards
3. Blige Foot Finders & Wrist Rattles
4. Babe Basics Teething Rattle | Natural Wood & BPA-Free Silicone
5. Baby Sees Colors Board Book
6. Hope & Henry Layette Cable Knit Sweater Romper
7. Indestructables Baby Book
8. Mali Wear Natural Wooden Teether Toys
9. Milestone Baby Photo Cards
10. Bright Starts Tummy Time Prop & Play
11. Lovevery Play Gym
12. Baby Einstein High Contrast Soft Blocks
13. HABA Color Pyramid Clutching Toy
14. AmazingM Dinosaur Teething Toy w/ Pacifier Clip
15. Taf Toys Soft Activity Baby Book
Babies that are three and four months are starting to learn how to grasp & attempt some hand-eye coordination! Some may even start to roll & sit with support during this time span. And don’t forget the precious sound of your little one’s babbling & laughing! Here are some gift ideas for 3-month-olds and 4-month-olds!
1. Bright Starts Grab & Spin Rattle (my girl still plays with this!)
2. Rolling Bell Rattle
3. Dr. Seuss Horton Tactile Snuggle Book
4. Sassy Tummy Time Floor Mirror
5. NEPAK Teething Mittens
6. Baby Paper Crinkly Toys
7. HABA Rainbow Fabric Ball
8. MITTEEZ Organic Wooden Ring Teether with Crinkle Fabric
9. Nuby Ice Gel Teether Keys
10. Zipadee Zip Swaddle Transition
12. Baby Jack & Co. Tag Lovey Blanket
13. Skip Hop Explore & More Activity Center
14. Nuby Linkables
15. Inflatable Tummy Time Water Mat
With baby becoming more active, it’s important to give them toys that are stimulating to multiple senses.
Babies that are five and six months are learning to change hand positions in order to grasp a more complexly shaped toy. They’re able to roll & love to put everything in their mouths. They are also becoming much more social! And don’t forget that other little messy milestone: starting solids! Here are gift ideas for 5-month-olds and 6-month-olds!
1. Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Controller
2. Montessori Cotton Puzzle Ball
3. HABA Roly Poly Giraffe
4. Burt’s Bees 100% Organic Cotton Bibs
5. Olababy 100% Silicone Soft-Tip Training Spoons
6. Munchkin Click Lock Weighted Straw Sippy Cup
7. Vtech Baby Lil’ Critters Moosical Beads
8. Baby Einstein Glow & Discover Light Bar
9. “All About Me” Board Book
10. MAM Bite & Brush Teether
11. Vtech Baby Talk & Go Farm Rattle
12. B. Toys One Two Squeeze Baby Blocks
13. Infantino Sparkle Topsy Turtle Mirror Pal
14. Manhattan Toy Atom Rattle & Teether
15. Sassy Fishy Fascination Station High Chair Activity Center
The second half of your little’s first year brings a much more mobile baby (eek!), so toys that can help facilitate your babe on the go are great picks. Seven and eight-month-olds are also learning familiar words, so now’s a great time to start trying to teach baby a few sight words & signs! They won’t repeat them back right away, but you can rest assured they’re learning & soaking it in! Here are gift ideas for 7-month-olds and 8-month-olds.
1. Elite Montessori Object Permanence Box
2. Infantino Balls, Blocks, & Buddies Activity Set
3. RenFox Musical Mats Keyboard
4. The First Years Stack Up Cups
5. “My First Signs” Board Book
6. First 100 Board Book Box Set
7. Fisher-Price Baby’s First Blocks
8. Fawn Hill Co. Toy Basket
9. Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Crawl Around Car
10. B. Toys 100% Non-Toxic Textured Stacking Rings
11. Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball
12. 3-in-1 Around We Go Activity Center
13. Octoplush Plush Toy
14. TOMY Toomies Hide & Squeak Eggs
15. Baby Einstein Discovering Music Activity Table
Although the range on this is very large, some nine and ten-month-olds are able to pull up to a standing position. Clap & play games are also a favorite! They may also have caught on to the word, “No!”. This is a great time to buy toys that help babies learn cause & effect. Here are gift ideas for 9-month-olds and 10-month-olds.
1. Melissa & Doug Match & Build Soft Blocks
2. Melissa & Doug Take-Along Shape-Sorter Toy
3. Montessori Egg Cup
4. beiens 9 Theme Felt Quiet Book
5. “Baby Faces” Board Book
6. CoolToys 5 Layer Drop & Roll Swirling Tower
7. Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn First Words Smart Puppy
8. Radio Flyer 4-in-1 Stroll ‘N Trike
9. Fat Brain Toys Dimpl Baby Toy
10. Playskool Poppin’ Pals Pop-Up Activity Toy
11. Fisher-Price Linkimals Musical Moose
12. Playskool Explore N’ Grow Busy Ball Popper
13. UTEX 3-in-1 Pop Up Play Tent w/ Tunnel
14. Melissa & Doug Pull-Back Vehicles
15. Fat Brain Toys MiniSpinny
If your precious nugget is eleven to twelve-months-old, they likely have mastered the pincer grasp, can cruise around on the furniture, may say a few words, point at objects they want, & even pretend play! When babies reach the pretend stage, it makes toy buying even more fun in my opinion! Here are gift ideas for 11-month-olds and 12-month-olds (or one-year-olds, however you’d like to put it!)
1. Manhattan Toy Baby Stella Soft Baby Doll
2. Melissa & Doug Deluxe Picnic Basket Fill & Spill
3. teytoy Soft Alphabet Cards
4. “Opposites” Lift a Flap Book
5. Melissa & Doug First Bead Maze
6. Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Smart Stages Piggy Bank
7. Melissa & Doug First Play Roll & Ring Ramp Tower
8. Fiecare Art Scribble Book & Chunky Finger Crayons
9. B. toys – FunKeys Toy
10. ALEX Discover My Busy Town Wooden Activity Cube
11. Melissa & Doug Chomp & Clack Alligator Push Toy
12. GOODLOGO Bath Wall Toy
13. First Builders Big Building Bag
14. Hape Pound & Tap Bench w/ Slide Out Xylophone
15. Melissa & Doug First Shapes Jumbo Knob Puzzle
Hopefully, you now have a good idea of what will be waiting for your little one(s) under the tree this year! Even if you don’t purchase these particular toys, it’s important to keep in mind the developmental stage your babies are going to when buying toys. Everything these precious babies play with helps them learn & grow!
What are you getting your baby this Christmas? Anything I didn’t mention? Let me know in the comments (so I can finish my own daughter’s Christmas shopping.. Yikes!).
Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter for future gift guides & other goodies!
And remember to just take the time to breathe and enjoy this precious first Christmas with your babe.